2009 was a great year for me. It was my first year running, actually started in April. My goal was to run a half marathon. I ran two. My first 10K, I placed 3rd in my age group. My second 10K, I placed 2nd. I ran three 5Ks, placing 2nd in my age group on the final one. And I joined a running club.
I also learned a lot in 2009 and have come up with 10 2010 New Year's Running Resolutions.
1. Drink more water. I hate water. It's boring. But I realize that I can't live on coffee and Diet Coke alone. So I will always have water next to me.
2. If I have a bad race, I get 5 minutes to piss and moan about it, then no more. It's an accomplishment no matter what that clock says.
3. Stay focused, but flexible. If I can't make a run on my marathon training plan because of work or family obligations, be flexible and work it in somewhere else, but stay focused.
4. Take rest days seriously. No matter how much I feel like Wonder Woman that day, a rest day is just as important as a long run.
5. Eat my veggies. Just as much as I hate water, I hate those green things. They are boring. I like salads, but cooked veggies bore me. I will look for ways to make them more exciting.
6. Bring healthy snacks to work. No more grazing on junk on the counter or heading to the vending machine.
7. Try not to bore my co-workers so much with my running stories.
8. Run 2 marathons, spring and a fall.
9. Despite much hazing from the running club, I am not participating in the push-up challenge; however, I will be doing my own sit up challenge every day.
10. Have fun at every run.