Thursday, December 31, 2009

My New Year's Running Resolutions

2009 was a great year for me. It was my first year running, actually started in April. My goal was to run a half marathon. I ran two. My first 10K, I placed 3rd in my age group. My second 10K, I placed 2nd. I ran three 5Ks, placing 2nd in my age group on the final one. And I joined a running club.

I also learned a lot in 2009 and have come up with 10 2010 New Year's Running Resolutions.

1. Drink more water. I hate water. It's boring. But I realize that I can't live on coffee and Diet Coke alone. So I will always have water next to me.

2. If I have a bad race, I get 5 minutes to piss and moan about it, then no more. It's an accomplishment no matter what that clock says.

3. Stay focused, but flexible. If I can't make a run on my marathon training plan because of work or family obligations, be flexible and work it in somewhere else, but stay focused.

4. Take rest days seriously. No matter how much I feel like Wonder Woman that day, a rest day is just as important as a long run.

5. Eat my veggies. Just as much as I hate water, I hate those green things. They are boring. I like salads, but cooked veggies bore me. I will look for ways to make them more exciting.

6. Bring healthy snacks to work. No more grazing on junk on the counter or heading to the vending machine.

7. Try not to bore my co-workers so much with my running stories.

8. Run 2 marathons, spring and a fall.

9. Despite much hazing from the running club, I am not participating in the push-up challenge; however, I will be doing my own sit up challenge every day.

10. Have fun at every run.

6 comments:

  1. That's a great list! Happy New Year.

    Susan (orangehardhat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a new runner, you have already learned more than many seasoned veterans! I would add stretching, more after than before a run; easy does it. Getting something like "The Stick" really helps make the most of a few minutes time helping sore muscles.

    V8 is a great veggie boost and will help avoid leg cramps. I learned this from a national class marathoner and it solved my problem.

    Good luck in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Susan! And Thank you Richard for the advice! I'm so bad about stretching, and I need to. And V8 is a good idea, easy, convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mind if I borrow a couple of points...?

    I'm the worlds worst for not stretching etc but I'm also getting there...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like #9! Now you're an official participant of the sit-ups challenge! : )
    -michelle b

    ReplyDelete
  6. #7 cracks me up! After I ran the half marathon at Grasslands last year, I text my friend "I will never run again" and the response I got was "Then what will you talk about?" LOL

    ReplyDelete