Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference

I thought of a million reasons why staying in bed this morning would be a good idea. I'm tired. It's hot. It's really humid. I didn't sleep at all. My legs feel like cement blocks. It's 4:30 a.m. and no one should see 4:30 on their clock twice. Yet, it was like instinct, I got up, put my running clothes and shoes on, fueled up and like auto-pilot, decided to run. I opened the door and immediately felt my chest tighten from the humidity. And the usual excitement that I have about running vanished.

I started running. Slowly. Miles are miles. Just get through it. I felt like I was running through water. Mile 6 my quads started burning. They never burn at mile 6. What is wrong with me? Why am I out here? It's 6 a.m. and I'm the only person in my city running 11 miles today.

So a light bulb goes off. Hell yeah. I AM THE ONLY PERSON IN MY CITY RUNNING 11 MILES THIS MORNING. I smiled. I'm tired, but I'm smiling because I know I'm going to finish those damn 11 miles and I really don't give a rat's a$$ how slow they are. I'm running and other than being tired, I have no reason to bitch, none. I'm running. And thank God I am.

Marathon training is just as mental as it is physical. It's summer in Texas and it's just going to get hotter. I can't change that, but I can change my attitude.

I wanted to share some of my favorite motivational things lately.

This one is taped to my mirror.





Another favorite. Every day damn. Just Do It. Yeah. I get it.



This one is my favorite. It also happens to be my favorite shirt now.

Passionate. You have to be passionate to get through all these miles.

Strong. There are days I do not feel strong, physically or mentally, but that's the challenge. I have to dig deeper to find that strength.

Dedicated. This I do well. I have never missed a training day or a workout. I'm dedicated because I'm passionate about what I do.

Competitive. No need to explain this one.

Athlete. I have never thought of myself as an athlete. But I think it's time to admit that I am.

This weekend, I vowed to myself to quit focusing on the negative. There are good days and bad days. It's how you deal with the bad days that make you a better athlete. Sometimes you have to take a step backward to move two steps forward. But I'm still an athlete nonetheless. It's up to me to take these dreams and make them mine. And it's much more enjoyable with a positive attitude.

5 comments:

  1. Did you run Monday? I felt like I was the only one on earth up at 4:45AM. The first bike I came across 6 miles into my run at Northshore almost gave me a heart attack. I had concluded I was the only one out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Suann. I've been struggling with my workouts too, up until last week. I really love what you have taped to your mirror - I need a copy of that! I started a running program yesterday because I want to start competing in duathlons - and I admit there are times when I think "I'm going to be 43 in two days - what the hell am I thinking??" - but reading positive messages like yours helps remind me that the only thing limiting what I can do is my attitude. Thanks again for an inspirational read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this! I need to remember this! Its been crazy hot in Boston and I need to JUST DO IT! It will be worth it in Chicago xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg your motivational items are AWESOME!! I like!
    What a great moment to experience, when it hits you that you're doing something awesome while most people are snoooozing away. Good for you! I love those moments!
    Good attitude to have about training in the summer, it's something I need to get better at myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell u enough how ur morning/evening tweets in how u r prepping encourage me so!
    It shows I am not the only one struggling get up b4 the roosters and dawg tired every night when my friends are up and out having fun.

    It is about the sacrifice for our passion and I luv'd how u said it is how we deal with out bad days.
    U really did turn ur thoughts around!!

    Thanks for ALWAYS keeping it real (& funny) that's why I follow U!!

    @crimsonpurl
    www.runcrimsonrun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete