Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Found My Mojo

Well, maybe it wasn't really ever lost, just misplaced.

Physically, I am ready. I've trained hard. These legs have the speed. These lungs have the endurance, but this head didn't have the confidence.

Between work life, home life and training hard in a hot and humid summer, I was mentally and physically exhausted. I didn't have any energy. I was so tired. Insomnia returned.

I went into my first week of taper and struggled with my speedwork. The speed was there, but it felt so much harder to keep that pace. My legs felt like lead. My head screaming, "you suck." But I plugged through the workouts nonetheless.

Fast forward to marathon week. My body feels 100 percent better. I'm running effortlessly. I'm sleeping better. I'm resting. Well heck, there is something to this taper thing. Huh.

Somewhere, somehow, my mojo came back. The goal that once seemed nearly impossible, now seems attainable. I'm not scared. I'm not worried. I'm not doubting myself. I'm ready to run the race of my life.

The marathon is just as much mental as it is physical. If I had a quarter for every time I have heard that...But it's true. It's time to trust my training, trust myself and lay it all out on the line.

Try harder. Do better. It's time to run the race of my life.

I'll see you in Chicago on 10-10-10.

2 comments: