Sunday, May 22, 2011

At a Crossroads

I'm contemplating something I have never done before, canceling a scheduled race.

I'm arguing with myself that it's ok to sit this one out, yet a part of me is calling me a quitter.

I'm scheduled to race the PlayTri Olympic Tri on June 5. Here's the problem. The last time I swam was my last Tri. I was forced out of the pool due to some medical issues and now I have the cold from hell. Since I am susceptible to bronchitis, I am very nervous about getting in that pool as congested as I am. Not to mention I have been fighting a fever for the past 3 days. And I am super exhausted.

Usually the swim is the least of my concerns, but not now. I do not feel anywhere close to being able to swim 1,500 without a struggle. Could I? Probably. Do I want to? Not really.

Two options...
1) Try to get in the pool over the next two weeks. Do the race and treat it as a training opportunity.

2) Skip it and find another Olympic distance in late September.

I'm still arguing with myself. I guess I'll make a decision June 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment