Sunday, May 29, 2011

Longest Trail Run







I'm in Michigan for the Memorial Day weekend and I hit the Holdridge Lakes State Park trails with Steve, Matt and Kai.








There has been significant flooding in the area over the past week, so we figured it would be wet. Yep, some areas were thigh high, but the majority of the trail was nice and packed with leaves with some fun mud to splash around in!

The weather was perfect! In the mid-50s. I felt bad for my Texas peeps running in 95 degrees.

The plan was for the boys to do 2, 16-mile loops. Since I am so new to trail running, I was playing this by ear and would make a decision on my distance after a few hours into the run.







I felt great and told them that I'll run the 4-mile loop twice after this loop while they went on.

The boys decided to run the 4-mile loop and then the 2-mile loop.













Well just after mile 3 on the 4-mile loop, I saw a sign ".75 technical trail" pointing to the left. And "long route" pointing to the right. Thinking I was taking either the correct way to the return or a short cut, I opted left. Oops! Got another mile in.

Met the boys back at the parking lot and had to explain my tardiness!








It was a great training day for me, my longest trail run. Someone asked me what I was training for...a 5k next weekend. But seriously, this really wasn't a planned run to get in a 20+ miler. It was just some dirty fun!











Here's a video from our adventure! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OmnGdjo9u0

No comments:

Post a Comment