Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ups and Downs

Well this weeks was filled with some ups and downs. Let's start with the ups.

I ended the month with 178 miles vs. 173 last year.

I have stuck to my core and weight training program, which has already proven to be working. Yay for getting back into some shorts that were tight a few weeks ago.

I'm down a few pounds. Trying to get down to race weight. I hate that Jack Daniels Running Formula race weight spreadsheet!

For the past two weeks, I nailed my 10K tempo runs. This week I ran that 10K in 50:53, certainly a training PR. I race a 10K next weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in some cooler weather.

I've been feeling like I'm running strong and well.

Ok, so the downs...

I have not been sleeping or eating well. The sleeping part has always been an issue. Trying to function on 4-5 hours of sleep for the past week has been really rough.

As for the eating part. This heat has zapped my appetite. I'm just not hungry. Nothing even remotely sounds good. And when I actually do manage to sit down and eat, I pick at my food and call it good after a few bites. Honestly, the only things that are working are oatmeal, cereal and PBJs.

These two things led to a craptastic long run on the trails of Northshore today. Headed out with Greg and Reece. We hit the 9-mile more technical side first. I did fine. We ran 1:02 out and 1:02 back, even though I felt I was more sluggish on the way back.

I went through 30 ounces of the fluids I had in my pack. Stopped at the car and downed 20 ounces of cold water. Another runner had ice cold water and offered us more. I downed another 10-15 ounces. Then we hit the side heading to Rockledge.

Right off the bat, I knew that water chugging was a mistake. Now I'm feeling sick to my stomach, it's getting hotter and I'm just tired. I told the guys to go ahead. I started feeling dizzy and just stopped at 10.5 miles. Then I took my 1.5-mile walk of shame back to my car.

I was also trying to get about 60 miles in. My heart sank when I saw that I didn't even get to 50 this week.

Next week will be lower miles. There's a 10K that I have to kill.

In life, love and running, there are ups and downs. Generally though, there are more ups. Try not to focus on the downs. Doesn't do a damn bit of good. Live to run another day.

Monday - rest day
Tuesday - 9 miles
Wednesday - 8.5 miles, weight training
Thursday - 6.2 mile tempo, 1 mile cool down
Friday - 9.5 miles, weight training
Saturday - 3.5 miles
Sunday - 10.5 trail miles

Weekly total - 48.2
July 2011 total - 178 vs 173 in July 2010

1 comment:

  1. So true, "In life, love and running, there are ups and downs. Generally though, there are more ups. Try not to focus on the downs. Doesn't do a damn bit of good. Live to run another day."

    Have a good week of running, Suann.

    Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete