Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer over yet?

I will never complain about 5 days of snow in Texas again. I like sun, don’t get me wrong. But as my friend Jeremy has affectionally referred to it lately, it's the “giant fireball in the sky.” And the giant fireball in the sky hates me. I'm sure of it.

I do not run well in the heat. I do not like running in 100+ degree temps. I do not like running in 80 degrees and 80% humidity. When that giant fireball is on me, my energy levels immediately drop. Easy runs are not easy. Every step is a struggle. My paces are much slower. It not only is physically harder, but let’s face it, it screws with your head. And my head does not need any screwing with.

I tried to race this weekend in Michigan. I thought, oh, highs of 80s, I can PR this. I’m due for a 10K PR. In training I have run 50 minute 10Ks. And I felt like this was in the bag.

The race started at 9 a.m. I turned to Steve and said, I’m hot. And thought about taking my singlet off right then. But I didn’t.


Gun goes off and I’m exactly where I want to be in terms of pace. The plan was to run the first mile 8:10 - 8:15 and then drop it. Mile 1 - 8:10. Mile 2 - 8:08. Mile 3 - 8:08. I skipped the water station because the volunteers had just given their cups out and turned their backs to get more. So I skipped that station instead of waiting. Mistake. Uh oh. I’m not feeling well. In fact, I’m feeling horrible. And there it was...my first vomit in a race. In someone's front yard. At this point, I just wanted to finish. I knew my PR was over. Let's just have a respectable time and try again another day.


So I finished in 55:37. Not nearly where I wanted to be, but it somehow was good enough for a 2nd place age group.


I completely underestimated how I would run in the humidity. I simply could not keep my pace. It wasn't for lack of trying. I did push as hard as I could, even after my breakfast came up. Not proud of my race, but proud that I was able to not let it get to me and piss and moan for a week like I've been known to do. Bottom line is I know I can run better. As Steve told me, "we just need to make sure you race in the winter." Yeah, I do much better when it's cold.

We hit the trails Sunday. Although I was slow. It was pretty humid, I had a great time. It was shade and it was nice to run at an easier pace. I won't say it was easy. It was a workout, but no vomit!


Next week I take a stab at a 5K in Seattle and my first trail half marathon. Wish me luck!

Last week's training...
Monday - 6 miles, weights and core
Tuesday - Rest, weights and core
Wednesday - 8 miles
Thursday - 5 miles
Friday - Rest
Saturday - 10K race
Sunday - 16.75 trail





1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean....as much as I bitch about the cold, I run so much better in it.

    ReplyDelete