Sunday, September 18, 2011

Is it in my head?

Is it in my head
Is it in my head
Is in my head here at the start?
Is it in my head
Is it in my head
Is it in my head, or in my heart?

Fitting verse from one of my favorite bands, The Who.

Queen of freaking out. That's me. Chicago last year was a disaster. It was all in my head. For me, the question is not whether or not I'm physically ready, it's whether or not I'm mentally ready.

I ran my last long run for Long Beach today. My friend Josh ran with me. He ran with me all last year and was there as I trained for Chicago. He told me that I was running stronger than he has ever seen me. And I feel fantastic. I ran 20.5 miles today at an easy 9:11 pace. It was effortless. We were talking, laughing about the double rainbow, having a good time. I felt like I could run that pace forever. Then Josh told me the biggest problem I have is the space between my ears. That was not the first time I heard that.

I think I'm getting better. I ran a hilly Milford 30K on a hot, humid day. Usually, I would freak out and piss and moan the rest of the weekend about how crappy I did. The difference, I started the race, knowing how the heat is my enemy and told myself, it's a training run. The result was a decent finish at a 9:30 pace and a much better outlook!

I've got a race strategy. I'm ready.If things don't go my way, I won't keep obsessing over my watch. I'm going to turn it off and enjoy the training run. But I have a feeling I won't have to do that.

Stay tuned!

Last week:
Monday - 9 miles
Tuesday - 10 miles at lunch, 3.1 miles after work
Wednesday - 8 miles
Thursday - 6.2 mile tempo
Friday - 6.2 mile (Run at Work Day)
Saturday - Run in the Dark 5K
Sunday - 20.5 miles

Weekly Total - 66.1 miles

Josh - the double rainbow is for you! Wish I had my camera today.

No comments:

Post a Comment