Monday, November 14, 2011

I AM AN ULTRA MARATHONER

Rockledge Rumble 50K
Nov. 12, 2011
6:39:48, 12th female, 38th overall
First 50K


"Its a brand new day
I'm still alive
What can I say?
The road was mighty hard
But its okay
I did my pride
Just one more mile"
Just One More Mile, Paper Tongues


I did it. I ran a big race EXACTLY how I wanted it. No regrets. I trusted my pace. I trusted my body and I did it. It went exactly as planned.

This was the most calm I have ever been coming into a race. I had no expectations other than to finish. I had a goal in mind, but it was a loose goal. I had never covered this distance before so I didn't know how I was going to feel.

Additionally, after the stomach issues I had in Long Beach, I was trying a new fueling plan and I really had no clue how that was going to work. Instead of Gatoraid or any other electrolyte drink, I took the advice of Jeremy and Josh to go with just water and Salt Stick Caps. I also took Troy's advice and took along papaya enzyme for any tummy issues. Good thing I did because they started up around mile 20. But that stuff is a miracle and calmed my stomach right away.

Coming into the race, Chris and I talked the week before about running together. We stuck together the entire race and I can honestly say that if it wasn't for her, I would not have done as well as I had. I didn't want to disappoint her, so I ran every step of that race. We took time at the aid stations, but other than that, we were running. For the most part we kept an even pace, right where I thought we would be.


I felt pretty darn strong up until 20. It was getting tougher, but I was able to maintain my pace. When we got to 27 and our last aid station stop, I just wanted to be done. It was getting warmer and I was ready to get done. My stomach started acting up after we left that last aid station and I just decided I only had 5 miles left and to stop drinking water.

I remember a biker behind us wanting to pass. I was grumpy at this point and didn't want to stop for fear of not starting back up again. I reluctantly moved over to the side and tried to keep running on the side.

With an mile to go, I stubbed my toe. The one that's already black from my Dash Point experience. I was convinced it was gone. The only thing that helped keep my mind off the throbbing pain was to say the "F" word repeatedly. Sorry, Chris.

On our final stretch to the pavillion, we came off the trail and that stupid grass was like running through water. I felt so slow. And the wind was gusting like a darn hurricane!

The best part of this race, you get to finish up a darn stair case! Lovely, just what I want after 32 miles.

I gave it my all out on that course. I don't really care what my time was. What I care about was the fact that I didn't let my head get the best of me. I was confident of my ability and did what I thought I could do. And with that, who cares what my time is? It was a personal best in race strategy and psychology. Something that means more to me than what the clock says.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, super proud of you girl! Welcome to the dark side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!! Awesome run and sounds like a great race!

    ReplyDelete