Saturday, December 31, 2011

Closing out 2011 with 26.2

New Year's Double Marathon
Dec. 31, 2011
4:08:28, 1st Age Group, 7th Female, 27th Overall


As much as I like to tell everyone, "I'm not racing" or "I'm not going to stress over this marathon," you all know I'm trying to convince myself more than you right?

Fact: You put a chip on me, I'm racing.

Fact: The marathon and I have an abusive relationship. I can run an ultra stress free, but the marathon scares me. He's been so abusive. We fight. Some days he wins. Some days I win.

Fact: I will worry myself sick before a marathon. Literally. My stomach revolts.

I put in lots of miles the week of this marathon. Why? Because I'm training for Rocky Raccoon. Yes, Marathon, take that you bastard, I'm cheating on you. Have been since November. Deal.

Friday, my stomach goes south. This morning, my stomach is not happy again. I'm chewing papaya enzyme like it's going out of style. It's helping.

I decided to run what I thought I could run and see how long I could hold on. I may have started out too fast, but honestly, I think my calories were down. 90 calories every hour, just isn't enough.

Wheels fell off about 16. I was still pacing to finish at a sub 4, but I really didn't want to fight for another 10 miles at this pace.

I saw Ninja at about 21 and he said, "You're cutting it close." I told him, "It's not happening today."

At 22, a volunteer told me, she thought I was first in my AG and one of the top 10 females. That was just the kick in the ass I needed to keep going. I said, "Thank you for kicking me in the butt. I really needed that."


I knew by now a sub 4 was out of the question. While part of me wanted to just walk it in, I thought, eh, let's run it out and see how I place. The concrete was really killing me. I have gotten so used to trails. This stuff was pounding on my hips, my feet. I really was longing to be on the trails.

I crossed the finish line at 4:08:28. Good enough for a 1st place age group win, 7th overall female and 27th overall.

So it wasn't my sub 4. But I'm not calling this a win for Marathon. I ran the best race I could run today.


2011 Stats:
4 marathons
2 ultra marathons (my first ultra followed by 2nd ultra 7 days later)
1 30K
2 trail half marathons, 1 road half marathon
2 sprint triathlons

Total milage
Ran: 1,724
Cycled: 403

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you Suann! I was there and saw you finish!

    ReplyDelete