Monday, March 12, 2012

Why would you want to run 100 miles?

Why would you want to run 100 miles?
That's insane.  I don't want to drive 100 miles.

How long will that take you?

Do you stop and sleep?

Where do you go to the bathroom?

The list goes on. If you're an ultra runner, you have no doubt been inundated with the same litany of questions. And at some point, you just get tired of trying to explain it all.

I get it. It's not normal. People don't just go out and run 100 miles.

But the truth is, I don't have a compelling answer as to why I want to run 100 miles. Because I can? Is that good enough?

So my dear ultra running friends....why do you want to run 100 miles? Maybe I'll use one of your lines when I fell compelled to explain myself.

7 comments:

  1. why not?

    to see if I can

    to make sure I can

    I'm training for the zombie apocalypse

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean we're supposed to have a reason other than "because I can" ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually say, "To see if I can." I can't yet say "because I can"... I'm sure I can but let's get a skin on the wall first.

    If it's asked online, I just paste in this quote:

    "Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time there is more to life than logic and common sense. The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that is lost on the sedentary. They understand perhaps better than anyone that the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of their being – a call that asks who they are." -- David Blaikie, Canadian photographer

    ReplyDelete
  4. To see what it feels like. Other than that, I really don't know. Since most normal people think it's crazy, it's not like I am trying to be "cool" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running towards the future?
    Running away from the past?
    Nothing else to occupy your time?
    Running to accomplish something few others have done?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only have run 50 of course, but someone asked me why recently and I replied, "just another way to prove I'm better than you." Why do people do anything they do? Running 100 miles seems far more sane than waiting 24 hours dressed as a wooki to see the new Star Wars movie to me...

    ReplyDelete