Sunday, April 29, 2012

Believe

If you want it, you got it. You've just got to believe...believe in yourself. 


It's been a long journey filled with lots of ups and what feels like more downs. It's too late to worry about did I train hard enough, did I do enough long runs, did I get enough miles it. What it boils down to now is believing in myself. 

I needed a good last long run to believe in myself. And I got it. 

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!
I wanted a night run to see how I can handle being up all day and running at night. I was so fortunate to have Lesley, Chris, Stephanie, Josh, Reece, Ted, Matt and Martin meet me at Northshore to join me for a little night training run. 

After our traditional greetings and talking about what body part hurts, we took off into the woods. 

It was a very warm and humid evening. 

The first loop was pretty uneventful. Martin's headlamp went out after a mile. Chris's hydration pack malfunctioned and leaked all over her back. My headlamp gave me a headache and I ended up holding it the last 2 miles. I ran out of water. And Lesley and Stephanie were brutally attacked by a giant creature of the night (armadillo). 

For the first time in a long time, I felt fantastic. My knee was not hurting, I had amazing energy. And I was running very strong. Later Martin says in that sweet sarcastic voice of his, "I wonder if that has anything to do with you drinking and fueling." Um ok, fine. 

The last loop, it was just Martin, Ted and I. I had my confidence back. I had my energy back. It was 3 a.m. and I was feeling better than I did the week before running at 7 a.m. in 55 degree weather. I was running faster, I was feeling stronger. 

Then out of the woods, a GIANORMOUS, venomous, nasty SNAKE blocked my path. Jumping 15 feet in the air, screaming and running back toward the guys who were just behind me. I yelled at Martin, "SNAKE!!!!!!! IT'S VENOMOUS!!! IT'S HUGE! Get rid of it!!!!!" 

The creature of the night reared up, flared his throat, and Martin wrestled it off the path with his bare hands. 

Ok, maybe not. It was about 8" long, half an inch wide and Martin took a stick a shooed it off trail. But he won major points for getting that thing away from me! 

And in the end....
"I do the very best I know how -- the very best I can -- and I mean to keep on doing so until the end," Abraham Lincoln. 

And that's what it's about.. believing in yourself and doing the best you can until the end. 

Zion 100 
See you at the end. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear of your success. With my own knee issues, seeing you work through those and do this is really inspiring to me! Makes me not want to quit when I have an ache or a pain.

    ReplyDelete