Thursday, May 24, 2012

Never stop

It's been a good two weeks since Zion. I had a forced rest week due to a minor surgery. I purposely scheduled this after Zion so I was forced to rest.

Well, you all know how that works. Day after surgery, I rode the trainer for 10 miles. That wasn't so smart. Monday, I ran 3 miles in stupid Texas heat. Again, not so smart. Yesterday marked a week post surgery and I ran a good 5.5 miles. Today, I was able to get in another 5. Feeling good. And got the official clearance from the doctor to run again. Shh, we won't tell him I'm going to California to run one of the Western States training runs this weekend.

I've had some time to reflect on Zion. My DNF. My training moving forward. My goals. What's next. Blah. Blah. Blah.

I'm quite aware that I'm very new at this sport...that my training didn't go as intended due to fighting a knee injury...that maybe this was too much too soon. But that's irrelevant.

I had some big supporters in my camp.

And there were those who wanted me to fail.
And there were those who wanted other people to fail. 

Your only failure is not trying.

This is NOT what this sport, this community is about.

Fact: The higher you climb, the bigger you fall.

Fact: I fall down, I get up again. And I don't need a band-aid for my boo boos.

Fact: I don't do this for anyone but me.

Fact: This is not my job. It's my fun. It's my community. It's the commraderie and the giving and positive attititudes of all the people I have met that is contagious and makes me want to try harder to do better.

Throughout my journey I had more supporters than a girl could ever imagine -- both pysically at the race and people from all over. This means more to me than anything. THIS love and support is why I love ultra running. THIS is what gets you to run one more mile. THIS is what pushes you to go further than you ever have before.

I want to say thank you to EVERYONE who followed me, tracked me, read my ramblings. You have my love and support in all you do. I want to be there for you as you have been there for me. I want to hear about your adventures. I want to cheer you on. I want you to try harder to do better. I want you to do something epic for you, however you define epic.
And if I can offer one piece of advice to anyone listening: Never stop.
Never stop pushing your limits.
Never stop supporting those who try harder to do better.
Never stop believing in yourself.

5 comments:

  1. Amen girl. Amen! Love ya! Can't wait to be right next to you at the next one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock on, sister! We have a lot more fun anyway - because we don't fear falling!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Just saw that you will be at the WS training run this weekend! I think it will be a blast - hard, but a blast!

    And I love the post! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, try and never stop pushing the limits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great inspiring post! you rock! @runreadrant Caron ET

    ReplyDelete